National President Election
Dear Conference/Council Presidents,
Once again, the time has come to consider candidates for the position of President of the National Council of Canada. The format, timelines and candidate eligibility considerations are as follows and taken from the Canadian Statutes and Rule of the Society in Canada (2.6.5). Only members of Aggregated Conferences and Instituted Councils are eligible as candidates or nominators. The Role and Responsibilities of the National President can be found in Section 2.6.7 of the Canadian Statutes and Rule.
The election of the National Council President requires 5 nominators. Nominations are sent to the Election Committee using the appropriate Nomination Form C.3 contained in the Canadian Statutes and Rule Book within the stated timeline of March 31, 2018. This is two months before the Annual General Assembly to be held in June at which time the candidates will be given the opportunity to address the assembly.
The candidate considered for nomination and election as president shall at all levels, meet a number of requirements and should possess certain desirable qualities and skills. These include:
- To be a Full Member of the Society
- To be a practicing Roman Catholic
- To be a volunteer, which means that he or she does not hold any paid position within the Society, including a position in any of the Special Works.
A candidate must have:
- A deep attachment to the Rule and Spirituality of the Society;
- A great dedication to the spiritual and temporal welfare of the poor;
- Experience in the service of the poor, particularly in relation to home visits;
- A personal interest in social issues;
- The ability to lead by consensus whenever possible;
- Good communication and listening skills;
- Sound judgment.
- Knowledge of and appreciation of financial matters, e.g.: budgeting;
- Experience in organizing and chairing meetings and committees;
- Experience in fundraising;
A working knowledge of both official languages would be an asset.
The appropriately completed Nomination Form and Acceptance Letter shall be mailed to the Election Committee - National Council of Canada Office, 2463 Innes Road, Ottawa, ON, K1B 3K3, and received no later than March 31, 2018.
Penny Craig, Immediate Past President
National Council of Canada
Chair of the Election Committee