Selection of a Patron Saint of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul in Canada
The National Spirituality Committee requested suggestions of Canadian Saints to be considered the Patron Saint of the Society in Canada. The decision will be made by the membership voting on this page, so thank you for your interest and participation. It is hoped that the selection will be made in time for the 175th anniversary of the Society in Canada in 2021, when we would consecrate the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul in Canada to the chosen Patron saint.
Message from the National Council President: Choosing a Patron Saint of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul in Canada
Suggestions could be made until September 30, 2020, and we received four wonderful recommendations. Those who suggested a saint were asked to prepare a brief written case for the one they chose, for your consideration. The saints who were recommended are:
- Saint André of Montreal : Biography
- Saint Kateri Tekakwitha : Biography
- Saint Marguerite d’Youville : Biography
- Saint Marguerite Bourgeoys : Biography
Click here to vote for your choice (one vote per person please)
Voting will be open until March 31, 2021. The results will be reviewed by the Spirituality Committee and announced by April 15, 2021, on the National Website.
This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about some of our Canadian Saints. Each of them is a model of a devout Catholic committed to furthering God’s work through actively living their faith in the world – just as we strive to do as Vincentians. Their example of selfless devotion to God is an inspiration to us all in our Vincentian works. In these times when many are quick to point out the undoubted historic and current failings of the Catholic Church in our society, we may not spend enough time studying and considering the positive effects of these holy men and women of God in our own history. Let us take some time to consider and appreciate their examples.
- Frederic Ozanam's Feast Day, September 9 : Frederic Ozanam Feast Day Mass
- Saint Vincent de Paul's Feast Day, September 27 : Saint Vincent de Paul feast Day Mass
- Memorial service for deceased Vincentians
- Commissioning Ceremony
- Ceremony for the installation of a President
- Installation of Spiritual Advisors (English)
- Installation of Spiritual Advisors (Bilingual)
SPIRITIUAL ADVISORS SUPPORT / RESOURCES: